Monday, July 30, 2012

Garden Time!


This last weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to go camping with my husband, cousin, and our two wonderful dogs. It was amazing! It was a lot of work to prep for and clean-up when we returned, but worth every second! One of the best parts, most of the food we took (aside from our meat and protein sources) came from our garden!!

We found new hikes, explored new trails, discovered how hard newspaper cross-word puzzles can be, tried to start a fire using two sticks and a shoelace (we got smoke but no actual flame:( ), went swimming, made s'mores, told stories, and so much more out in the Ochoco's! But once we returned home, I discovered how much I have neglected my garden as of late. There were weeds and tomato TREES when we returned, as well as some very large produce which was overlooked before we left! Oops!!

Well, now is the time to change that. Today we pruned all of the tomatoes (I'll explain my perspective on tomato pruning tomorrow!), weeded, watered, fertilized, and harvested. Fun and exhausting, but desperately needed!

I want to most of my garden this summer, and as the weather already begins to cool down, I'm worried our growing season will be shorter than usual. So, encouraging plants to set fruit and ripen it before the weather becomes too cold is all I can do to help them along. I'll keep you up to date on just what it is I'm doing!

 For now, I just wanted to share a little garden update! And to let you know, even though we often  have the best of intentions, sometimes life takes over our passions for a brief time. What is important is that we learn to adapt to these obstacles, embrace & enjoy them, and then return to what we love!

And always be thankful for what we have been given!

Enjoy!!

I'm also getting ready to plant some peas for a fall harvest, so I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment