Thursday, July 5, 2012

Garden Fever!


I feel almost as if I've been at a stale-mate with my garden. I weed, I dead-head, I fertilize, water, mow, and train, and still I feel as if everything were growing in slow motion. I have a tremendous pea crop; as well as kale, Swiss chard, radish, turnip, beet, and even kohlrabi! But as far as maturation goes, I feel sort-of behind...but slightly encouraged after my day in my garden :)

I walked into my serenity garden (the portion of my garden completely fenced off from the dogs and cats; a place welcoming and inviting to those other than my pets :) and noticed several red raspberries amidst the sea of green berries. I've been blessed with several, albeit small, strawberries, and am so excited to be able to pick my first raspberry crop of the year!! In fact here is my first picking... :-)

After the brief encouragement from my berries, I began to take a closer look at my garden; really get in there and see just what was going on. To my surprise, a lot more has been happening with these plants than I gave them credit for.

                                                    My Brussels sprouts have small spouts on them, I have four small heads of broccoli, two heads of cauliflower, several heads of cabbage...and what is that I see?! A green tomato?! Indeed, it is!


After so much anticipation, my work is beginning to pay off with the warmer weather crops. Honestly, I couldn't be more excited! I was able to walk out into my own garden, pick a fresh raspberry and not only eat it, but almost experience the way the fresh, sweet berry tasted. It was phenomenal!

I am also beginning to see what awaits me in the next few weeks and months; green beans, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, sprouts, corn, beets, cabbage...and so many more! It is this moment of peace, satisfaction, and delight that keeps my hands in the soil year after year! I hope you have found peace here in your garden as well!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment