Friday, July 6, 2012

A Piece of Encouragement


Facing the Storm

(Excerpt from One-Minute Prayers for Women...one of my favorite devotionals!)

Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

~Matthew 8:24-26~

Craziness consumes me, Lord. Beneath the confidence I show the world, God, You know an ocean of fear rocks and swells. I feel it when I spend a few minutes in silence. That is why I avoid quiet time with You. I'm afraid to face the storm.

God, I am just like the disciples who followed You and listened to Your many explanations of what it means to believe. I have heard Your parables and witnessed Your faithfulness, yet I cry, "Save me," with little faith. Pull my gaze to Your eyes. Do not let me look at the waves about to crash into my ordered world. When the winds die down and I face You on the calm waters, I want to be found standing as a faithful servant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the close of this work week, for me, this is exactly how I feel. I feel as though I have let all the faith be drained from me by the constant and overwhelming bombardment of tasks and information throughout the week.

I have noticed my lack of faith, trust, and the confidence from the Lord, hanging gloomily over me like a storm cloud on a perfectly sunny afternoon. This prayer and verse are a comfort for me. I realize that I'm not alone in or through these rough times. Faith and perseverance is what I need to cling to...I can feel that storm cloud beginning to break up!

I hope you can find comfort in these words, just as I have, or can share them with someone who could benefit from them. We all need some reminding of what we have to look forward to!

Enjoy and may peace find you, wherever you might be!


No comments:

Post a Comment