Sunday, December 30, 2012

Cozy Days of Winter

Christmas has passed. The new year is fast approaching. The weather is gelid, making it hard to spend much time enjoying the crisp untouched snowy landscape that surrounds me.

I'm left to my own devices to try and fill my days with meaning as I long to be in the garden again! As I said yesterday, I've found ways to fill my time - and spirit - thus far. I think one of the biggest lessons I've learned this year (mainly through writing...thank you!) is that there is so much beauty in the simple things; the moments that don't really seem to stand out but can create a sense of peace and happiness you didn't realize existed! I've found that. And it is such a remarkable realization...one I hope we can all appreciate at some point!

But as I sit here this evening, I can't help but sit in awe as I think about all I did that had meaning in my life...but may seem all to trivial to everyone else. That's whats funny. My days may be filled with cleaning, crafting, gardening, walking, creating, working, and my idea of play... and your day may consist of something completely different but will be just as purposeful! Each day is completely objective - which is fantastic for us! None of us has to be the same: we can all find meaning and beauty in different forms and ways throughout our days, simply resplendent! This being said, here is what I found to be auspicious!

After spending an afternoon and evening with family and friends engrossed in our Alma-matter's bowl game (Oregon State University ;-), we wanted a change of scenery. We've had several snow flurries this past week so our landscape is completely covered with the delicate white flakes of winter: snow! We went cross-country skiing outside our back door, literally, and then came home and cozied up with lunch and tea! From there, we ran errands, I finished my sisters birthday present (which I think is kind-of cool; so after this coming weekend, I'll share it!), took our puppies for a much needed hike, and then just relaxed. But in the midst of our relaxation, hunger struck and we decided to make it a pizza night. We made pulled pork, pineapple, and veggie pizza! As we savored the food we were so blessed to be able to enjoy, we just talked.

But, being an avid gardener at heart and missing it terribly, I couldn't end my evening without getting my hands into something 'plantie' (for lack of a better word...in fact I think I just made that up;-). I started two new items in my kitchen: mung bean sprouts and Salad Burnet seeds I ordered from the Burpee catalogue several months back (an herb that can be used in salads and has a cucumber-like flavor, could also be used as a substitute for mint).

My mung bean sprouts have been soaked for 24 hours, rinsed, and are sitting on my counter beginning to sprout! I'm so excited to try them!! I picked them up at a wonderful store called Bob's Red Mill located here in Oregon. They sell so many beautiful types of beans, spices, grains, pastas...several heirloom and hard-to-find varieties (organic as well!) and a quality that is apparent in every item sold! But I digress. I bought a small bag of them (in the bulk isle) with the thought of spouting a few and cooking the others just to see the different flavors of this bean. The sprouts will be first, and the cooked beans will be tried a bit later...when I find a recipe appropriate for their use!

My Salad Burnet has peaked their little cotyledons through the soil and I'm eagerly awaiting their maturation! I cant wait to try them! Other than the description earlier, I've never had the pleasure of experiencing this herb myself. I can't wait though!

For now, my little homestead is existing and slowly moving forward. There is so much I want to try and do, but for now, we don't have to means to follow though on those dreams. I haven't lost hope though. In fact, quite the contrary! I'm more hopeful now than ever...I've seen what we can do with what little we have and I know we can work towards our dreams (a statuesque bit of land, to work and live off of!) For now, I'm grateful for all God has blessed us with! With every passing year, I completely blown away!

Find peace and joy in all you are blessed with and enjoy it on a daily basis! It's what makes us who we are! And don't be afraid to step out and try something new or unique! It can be fun and extremely rewarding!

Enjoy...and look toward the new year with anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment