Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013

Happy New Year!
 To start out our year, Cam and I decided to get out of our usual rut and try something new. We decided to hike Smith Rock (a mere 30 minutes from our house), something we have never done this time of year.

In the fall and summer months, we visit here at least once. Smith Rock holds a special place in my heart: its where I experienced my first intense high-desert hike and where Cam proposed to me (at the highest point of Misery Ridge). So any time spent here is special to me! And today, amidst the bitter cold (12 degrees!), thick ice, and frosty breeze, my heart still warmed at the sight!

One of our New Years resolutions is to try to get out of our mundane rut. We both love to experience new things but we so easily talk ourselves out of pursuing them...because of finances, time, stress, etc. So, this morning, even with the bone-chilling weather, we sought out the beautiful landscape of Oregon's high desert.

Our trek took us 2 1/2 hours to complete but we had so much fun!! We hiked and talked - about dreams and our future - and before we knew it, we were at the half-way point. The sun blessed us with it's presence and warmed our bones (and spirit) as we hiked out; filling us with hope for the coming year.

Resolutions and goals are wonderful. But instead of a momentary fix, I want a lifestyle adjustment. I want to live my life for all that is good and to be filled with joy and happiness because of all of God's blessings. Now, we have the desire to live healthfully, spend more time together, and exercise, but we also want to be happy. We want to know we are working toward something more and better than ourselves; true fulfillment.

Today was our first step. We pray we can keep it up! We have also been discussing what it would take for us to be able to attain our goal of a true little 'homestead!' That excites me!!

 What are your goals and resolutions for 2013? We all have our own dreams, what are yours? I'd love to hear! And you never know how your goals may inspire others!!

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment