Thursday, January 17, 2013

His & Hers

Tonight, I'm trying something a little different. Devotionals are a constant in our household, and tonight I thought it would be fun to share what is pressing on each of our spirits; one for him and one for her. Although they may be separate, it's amazing how much they play into each other! I hope you - and perhaps your partner - enjoy this moment of reflection and a trice of calm.
 
His
(Excerpt taken from One-Minute Prayers for Men)
 
Remind Me
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.
~2 Corinthians 4:7-10~
 
Heavenly Father, remind me how much I live by Your power and not mine (although I admit that I don't really like the reminders - sometimes they overwhelm me). I know that when everything is going well, my pride can overtake me, and out comes my self-will.
 
Lord God, help me to remember that I don't have to do this all alone. Remind me to lean on Your power, to reach out for Jesus whenever I feel that I can no longer go the distance. Almighty God, help me to remember that Your power can lift me above any setback, and I have no need to fear.
 
 
Hers
(Excerpt taken from One-Minute Prayers for Women)
 
Show Me
I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
~Psalm:119:30~
 
I am so thankful I discovered truth when I did. I was all over the place seeking answers to random questions. I didn't even know what to ask in my quest for understanding and identity. You raised me out of my ignorance and showed me the light of Your heart. Everything clicked at that moment.
 
I still have times of confusion. I still have obstacles to overcome, but never without a measure of truth to guide me. Now my many questions are replaced by one request: Show me the way, Lord.
 

 

It is so easy to get caught up in life; we run here and there, often doing what others expect and presume we will do...which often leads to disappointment and sometimes rejection.

In moments like these, in the ever-so-wise words of my husband, we need God: our energy drink! He will give us the strength and the ability to try, try again, and succeed in His will for our lives!

It may always be a struggle - we have seen that first-hand, just as I'm sure you have as well - but these struggles will always bring us closer to our Lord, when we trust in Him! He is our rock, our light in the darkest moments of life, and the loving arms that surround us during hardships. If we allow ourselves to completely trust in these truths, we can truly live out the life Christ intended us to!

How do these devotionals impact you? What comes into your heart when you read them? I'd love to hear how you are moved or impacted by these verses, just as I have been!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment