Monday, December 10, 2012

Learning to Forgive


The Rains Are Over
 
See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come.
 
~Song Of Solomon 2:11-12~
 
Days of hardship and pain have rained down in my past, Lord. There were storms that destroyed the foundations I had built. Floods swept away the hope I had placed in material things and in the strength I thought I saw in others. All that remained was the washed-out land of disappointment. But that was in the past. A time when I could not see a future.
 
Now the flowers sprout and shout from the earth. They sing a song of Your faithfulness. This is a new season for me, Lord. Past sorrows fade away and future hopes and dreams grow strong. You offer me this renewal every day, Lord. I am grateful for the rains, for they have prepared my soul to receive the blessings.
 
(Excerpt taken from One-Minute Prayers for Women )
 
There has been so much going on in my life lately; some of it good and some of it quite difficult to swallow.
 
Each of us is presented with times in our lives when we are treated harshly and somewhat unfairly. When this happens, it's easy to throw up your hands and give up; let it continue to happen, repeatedly, and try to just pass it off. Unfortunately, resentment and hard-feelings can easily grow in this environment and bitterness thrives here.
 
A situation presented itself this last week which did just that for me. I could feel the animosity growing within myself...the inability to let it go was beyond me. I felt if I let it go, then this same treatment of us would continue to happen. And I was determined, after several similar happenings, to put a stop to it!
 
But I began to realize one thing - my feelings really weren't being noticed or acknowledged by those who had inflicted them upon us. No. They were only felt by us, the receiving end, and stopped there.
 
After much self-reflection, church, and this devotional...I can say, I want to forgive and move on. Not for them, those in-the-wrong, but for me. I  want to be able to forgive their agrevious misgivings and proceed with my life.
 
When something erroneous happens in life, it takes strength and the help of our Lord to make it through...triumphantly! We must learn to forgive others the way Christ commands us to. When we can, the result is simply amazing! Hard? Absolutely!! Worth it? You bet! Forgiveness is for us. It sets  us  free!
 
This is what I'm dealing with on a daily basis this week...how to forgive those we love. How do you feel? Have you been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Communication and advice helps us all! Share with us!!
 
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment