Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Seeking Grace


I Work So Hard

It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

~Ephesians 2:8-10~

I work so industriously, God. There is sweat on my brow as I survey the fruits of my labor. Signs of my hard work are everywhere. I dedicate the work of my hand to You. And yet, I resist the one thing You call me to do right now - fall to my knees and accept Your grace. Why is that so difficult for me, Lord?

Soften my heart to receive Your saving grace. Eliminate in me the need to earn Your love. You freely give Your grace so I can focus on doing the good works You have prepared for me. Grant me a deeper understanding of Your provision. And receive my humble spirit as I rest in Your mercy.

(Excerpt taken from One-Minute Prayers for Women)


This evening, Cam & I were really struck by this verse. We both try to work hard, and work for what we have and for what we want. However, it is easy to lose sight of WHO is actually providing us with this opportunity. Yes, we work hard in our garden, but without God's saving grace, we would never have the opportunity to have or work in it. We save our money and are frugal so we can afford the things we dream of doing one day, but, again, without God's grace, we wouldn't have the opportunity to work and save, or even dream.

There have been many times when I have wanted recognition and praise for the things we have been able to accomplish. Is that wrong? You can be the judge of that. But I honestly believe that if some amount of recognition comes to us for what we have done, as long as we give credit where credit is due - God and his grace - then we should be both proud and thankful for everything.

Have you experienced times when you feel like you haven't gotten the recognition you deserve or perhaps a moment when you had to just pause to thank God for a certain circumstance, a defining moment? Share with us. We can all benefit!

I hope this encourages you to keep working hard and to never lose sight of HOW we are able to do what we can!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment