Monday, August 13, 2012

Dreaming

 (The following is an excerpt from One-Minute Prayers for Women)

Forever Heart

But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.
~Psalm 33:11~

Lord, I spend most of my time pursuing goals and dreams that are temporal. Maybe that is the hardest part about being human - knowing that the future dreams I have might not come to fruition. There is an expiration date on my life and these dreams.

When I turn to Your plan for eternal life, I face a lasting hope. The purposes of Your heart have accompanied generations before me, and they will carry future generations heavenward. I hold tightly to Your promises and know they will live on when my other dreams have faded. It is a wonderful gift You give me...something to believe in...a dream come true.

~~~~~~~~~~~
How very true this is. It's so easy to create big dreams, build them up, and when they don't come to pass (for whatever reason, those even out of our control), we become disheartened, discouraged, and depressed. I sometimes find myself in a very self-pitying frame of mind...why me? Why can't things go my way just this once?

This verse clarifies it all for me. When our hopes and dreams don't occur in the manner or time frame we have anticipated or hoped for, it only means that that particular dream may need to wait or show itself in a different manner. It doesn't mean we've failed or shouldn't dream. Quite the contrary; dreaming is what makes us who we are - individual children of God.

Pursue your dreams! But just remember, if something doesn't seem to follow your timeline or ideals, doesn't mean it won't happen. Sometimes things happen when we least expect them; sneaking up on us just when we seem to give up. That is what's so wonderful about His promise...it's always something to look forward to and to know we will never disappointed in it!

I hope this verse and prayer are as poignant to you as they have been to me. I pray you take something away from it! Share with me, and us, your thoughts! It's so encouraging to hear others' stories too!

Enjoy! :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment