Saturday, June 9, 2012

To Your Health!

As spring begins to turn the corner and summer takes hold, I am always reminded of how 'healthy' I feel this time of year. The word 'health' has many different meanings; for example:

health - (as defined by Dictionary.com)
  1. the general condition of the body or mind with reference to soundness and vigor: good health; poor health.
  2. soundness of body or mind; freedom from disease or ailment: to have one's health; to lose one's health.
  3. a polite or complimentary wish for a person's health, happiness, etc., especially as a toast: We drank a health to our guest of honor.
I'm not entirely sure why I take my mind and body health for granted the rest of the year, but as the weather warms up, so too does my gratefulness and mindfulness. I can sit and bask in the morning sun and develop such excitement for the work that awaits me; every evening is a new culinary journey for me...it's fun to go pick fresh vegetables and fruits to create a meal; happiness and relaxation have never seemed so close to me than this time of year!
 
As I sat and read my evening devotional book, I stumbled across one that reflects my feelings perfectly and I'd like to share it!
 
Healthy Soul
(One-Minute Prayers for Women)
 
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
 
~ 3 John 2
 
I have noticed how my efforts toward a healthy life have also enriched my soul. I am clear-thinking, brighter, more attentive to my spiritual needs. Lord, I know I complain about this body of mine, but I ask You to bless it with healing and wholeness. Where I am having physical difficulties, direct me toward the right care. Don't let me abuse my body just because I am tired of its shortcomings.
 
When I focus on my breath and think about the oxygen soaring through my system, I am so grateful for the intricate workings of my body. I was made by You, and I will treat Your creation with kindness - inside and out.
 
 
As you dig your hands into the fresh earth, I hope you are reminded - just as I was - of how very blessed we are to be ABLE to do this work and benefit in so many different ways! When we are healthy and happy, it's easy to go throughout our days without noticing these simple feelings. But since it's so very easy to notice and dwell on bad things and bad days, let us start to take the time to really appreciate all of the good and normal things our lives bring us. That is something I plan to begin working on!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment