Monday, June 18, 2012

Strawberries Are Here!

There is nothing like biting into a freshly picked, perfectly ripe strawberry. To me, its like the first blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, grapes, peaches, plums, apricots, peaches, watermelon, pineapple...my list goes on and on. You see, I'm very much a fruit girl. I grew up picking strawberries and blueberries in the summer for money; picking raspberries, apples, plums, and grapes because we had them in our garden; picking ripe blackberries as we rode our bikes around one of Salem's nature parks or as we went wading in the creek in Aumsville; visiting my grandparents in Texas and either helping pick a melon from my grandfather's beautiful garden or helping my daddy pick one out of the local watermelon truck; going on a camping road trip with my family and picking fresh apricots from the farm at Coral Reef National Park. My past is very steeped in fresh fruit picking and I know good fruit from the moment I can smell it.

I am extremely blessed having been able to experience fresh fruit...when their true flavors come out and they taste as God created them to. However, when I got married and moved to the High Desert, good FRESH fruit is hard to come by. Sometimes I have to settle for the almost flavorless versions from the grocery store. Now, sometimes you can find good fruit there - I'm not a snob, by any means - I just know what I'm looking for and it is hard to live up to my expectations :-)

Our solution has been to try to find fresh fruit when we can and preserve it for later. We have access to several different varieties of apples, pears, and plums that are grown locally; I drive to the mountains to pick fresh blueberries to eat and freeze. As for the rest, we've been trying to grow our own.

So here's the first fruit of the year for me...strawberries! It's exciting to go out and pick two perfect berries - grown with patience and love - and bring them in to share. I'm one of those girls who likes to make a somewhat big occasion out of a small happening, and this is a good example. In order for Cam and I to eat these berries, we had to sit, un-distracted, and enjoy them. Corny, I know, but we did it anyway! They were delicious! Given more sunshine and warm weather, they will continue to sweeten up, making them all the more delectable! I can't wait for the next batch!!

As spring comes to a close and summer comes full-swing, let us enjoy all our garden has to share with us in its time. When we strive for healthy plants and patiently await mature fruits and vegetables, we will be generously rewarded. It's worth every ounce of work and waiting in my book!

Let me know how your garden in doing these days. I'd love to hear what else you are enjoying from your gardens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment