Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

I'd like to take a moment and wish all of the father's out there a very happy father's day!

Today I was blessed to be able to spend the day with my father and our entire family. We all met early this morning for a beautiful day of hiking along the Metolius river in Oregon...a place none of us have had the privilege of experiencing until today! The weather was perfect - warm breeze, bright sun, and only one small cloud in the sky - as was the entire day!

We hiked along the river on a beautiful dirt trail that wound through wild flowers, pine forest, & small river alcoves, and led to the Fish Hatchery near Camp Sherman.

When we came to the hatchery, we all scrambled for our quarters to feed the fish!! We carefully and curiously examined each fish bed there; the tiny fish in the incubation room to the large trout they had swimming in a natural pond...we saw them all. The most fun was probably throwing in a small finger full of food and watching all the fish swarm and wriggle at the top of water like a bunch of eels. It was awesome!!


Trout in fish pond...they were huge!
 We took a moment at the dock of the natural fish pond to just stand still and enjoy ourselves. My dad and I shared stories about taking my grandpa to the fish hatchery years ago...stories I have sadly pushed to the back of my memory (but not anymore!), and memories of us girls (there are three of us in my family...poor dad! ;-).

When hunger pangs struck us, we all started our trek back to the car for our picnic lunch. We spread out our blankets in the pine needles and enjoyed lunch and exchanged presents.  We also drove dad in and treated him to a walk around the town of Sisters, Oregon and frozen yogurt; yummy!

It was special for us all to be able to spend this time together and to celebrate our dad! Speaking personally, without his guidance, wisdom, and love, I know I wouldn't be the woman I am today! Thanks Dad!

Me & my dad!
 Happy Father's Day to all!!


No comments:

Post a Comment