Thursday, June 14, 2012

Realizing Our True Wealth

Today, I was exhausted...in every sense of the word. My body cried out for rest, my eyes longed to close, my head screamed for down-time. And yet, non of that found me today. I have been overwhelmed by lifes' demands to the point I've had trouble finding joy in almost anything. I'm sure this may sound all-too-familiar to many of you; we want so badly to do everything, have everything, and be everything to everyone that we stretch ourselves thin, often to breaking points.

I hit that very 'thin' point today. I didn't feel like I had anything left to give to anyone, not even myself. I paused for a moment and thought "why"? Why am I feeling this way? What is driving me to continually give until I have nothing left? Am I hoping to make enough money to get ahead in life and be happy? Could it really be the lure of luxury I've been secretly seeking? I certainly hope not. That's not the life I want or want to lead.

So this evening has been a time to just retreat and relax; ground myself once again. After supper, I took a nice walk with Cam in the warm, low-lying sun. We stopped by to see some very special friends and visit. I really just wanted to take the time to remind myself not only all that life has, but how truly blessed I am, no matter how monetarily well-off we are or aren't.

This also helped put things into perspective for me:

Rich with Redemption
(One-Minute Prayers for Women)

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

~Ephesians 1:7-8

Keep me from being spiritually poor, Lord. In the material realm, I want for nothing. I have food to eat and a roof over my head. I have the means to care for my family. I even have tasted the luxury of abundance. But it takes wisdom to amass spiritual riches. Lead me to understand the treasures of salvation.
Your love inspires and satisfies me, Lord. I have been redeemed through the sacrifice of Christ. Your grace leads to spiritual riches. It multiplies to cover every one of my iniquities. My soul was purchased for a price, and it has made me a wealthy child of God. 

Sometimes, all we need is a simple reminder to stop. Stop and not only be thankful, but realize how rich our lives are because we are unconditionally loved. That is true wealth.


May this encourage and direct you wherever you may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment