Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Time of Stillness Amidst Turmoil



"Lifea) the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment
                  b) the general or universal condition of human existence"
(as defined by dictionary.com)


 
Sometimes our lives, at least what we've made of them, can seem almost daunting. Between the running to and from, the needs of EVERYONE, the time constraints and expectations we place on ourselves, the demands of others, we sometimes dread stepping foot out of bed knowing it's only to join the chaos. The second part of the definition of "life" is "the general or universal condition of human existence." That is broad;  all-encompassing of our daily activities. So take a moment and think about this: If everything we do throughout the day is part of our life - makes us who we are - then what defines the quality of our days and the time spent on every activity? Not just "taking care of things" but also the 'you' time; the time spent breathing, feeling, resting, and reflecting. Why is it we are so quickly to tag each day as 'good' or 'bad' based upon the things that demand our time or attention, instead of on what we do/act/add  to the world each day?

There have been many-a-day for me when I have one bad experience first thing in the morning, and I let it ruin my entire day. I'm grumpy, disagreeable, unpleasant, all because I have chosen to focus on one negative. In turn, I display anger, frustration, and sometimes hatred to those who cross my path, even inadvertently. It happens. But it doesn't have to. 

Today has been one of those days for me. Nothing seemed to work out to my benefit, I was tired, and overwhelmed...so what happened? I was an in-terminable grouch! Yikes!!

This is what gave me the determination to turn my day around and the hope for what it means for 'me' :

Making the Effort
(One-Minute Prayers for Women excerpt)

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

~Ecclesiastes 9:10


"This is my chance. I know this. I sometimes fixate on this fact. This is my one chance at life here on earth. You have given me this earthly body, this heart for You and the plans You conceived for my life before it ever began. I pray that my efforts are worthy in Your sight, Lord. When I struggle and strain, let it be for a good cause. Let each and every effort I make be done with sincerity and honor.

Heaven's glory shimmers in the distance. I look toward it in my heart so I know the way home. But these days of living in full humanity also serve a divine purpose. I am to love You, love others, serve You, serve others, and discover who I am in the process."

When we face what seem like times of tribulation, my prayer is that we can all stop for a spilt second and remember just why we're here. Were we put here to make sure every dust bunny has been obliterated in our homes and run from place to place busying ourselves with nonsense, or were we meant to experience the day? Shouldn't our focus be on how to show Christ to those around us, with both spoken and unspoken words and actions?

This is what truly matters as the sun sets at the end of each day we have been gifted with!


No comments:

Post a Comment