Thursday, May 31, 2012

"The Rains are Over"


The Past: The Rains are Over

See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of spring has come.

~ Song of Solomon 2:11-12

Days of hardship and pain have rained down in my past, Lord. There were storms that destroyed the foundations I had built. Floods swept away the hope I had placed in material things and in the strength I thought I saw in others. All that remained was the washed-out land of disappointment. But that was in the past. A time when I could not see a future.

Now the flowers sprout and shout from the earth. They sing a song of Your faithfulness. This is a new season for me, Lord. Past sorrows fade away and future hopes and dreams grow strong. You offer me this renewal every day, Lord. I am grateful for the rains, for they have prepared my soul to receive the blessings.
(Excerpt from One-minute prayers for Women)

Each day we get out of bed and experience the world, we encounter obstacles, sorrow, joy, and a host of other sentiments. Some days we are more sensitive and/or receptive to these experiences, good or bad. It is on those days when we can become consumed by them...especially when they are negative. Dwelling and holding onto them can be our way to 'deal'. We try to stuff them down and out of our current thoughts. For a bit, it helps; we can move on. Then suddenly, from nowhere, they creep back into the forefront of our minds. It's a fact of nature; happens to us all.

When my eyes fell on these words today, I was strengthened and inspired.  I have had moments when it seems like the hurts of past memories will hang around like the annoying little fly constantly swarming around your head on a beautiful summer day. This prayer reminded me that there is hope, even on the worst of days, because the love of Christ will help heal us and carry us to brighter days.

Just as the rain and wind (for the most part) has finally died down for us in the High Desert, we are reminded that spring is finally among us. Isn't it about time we let spring and summer arrive in our spiritual and emotional lives as well? Move from the winter of pain into the spring of life and joy because of Christ's promise of unconditional love? I believe it is!


Be comforted. Live joyously. All will work out for the glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment