Monday, June 3, 2013

Needs and Contentment



Every morning, the sun rises. It floats across the sky throughout the day until it reaches its final destination to denote the close of another day. It sets, falling beyond the horizon leaving us with magnificent color and then ultimate darkness. It's constant. It's predictable. And we all-too-often take it for granted.

These last several days have been spent busying myself with things. Things I enjoy, but still things that need to be done. Instead of feeling fulfilled and grateful, I feel tired.

We all experience this at times in life, I know. Sometimes, it's a struggle to put on a smile and mask our true feelings. But lately, as I've gone about my daily tasks and obligations, I feel humbled by these feelings. Humbled because I know there is so much more to life than just our daily struggles and even moments of bliss. This prayer helps remind me of this:


With or Without
 
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything though him who gives me strength.
~Philippians 4:12-13~
 
Lord, Your hand has guided me though times of want and times of plenty, I thank You for being my Source of strength and guidance. When I hungered for more and thirsted of opportunity, I followed Your way to brighter days. You guided me though years of abundance so that I could be a devoted steward of my blessings. My status in the world's eyes might change, but my relationship with You remains the same.
 
Teach me about contentment, Lord. When I have material wealth, may I still long for spiritual direction and nourishment. As I experience difficulties, lead my thoughts and prayers to You for direction and hope. I can do all things and survive all circumstances through Your strength.
 
(The preceding excerpt was taken from One-Minute Prayers for Women...one of my favorite devotionals and sources of encouragement!)

This verse provides me with so much hope and strength. No matter what I am facing - whether it be blessings or hardships - Christ is constantly present, guiding me in the direction He has laid out for me. The same is true for us all. We must be willing to accept His guidance and follow his lead.

I'm still learning how...but I'm looking forward to what He has in store! Will you learn with me?

How does this prayer and verse impact your life? I'd love to get your insight!

Thanks and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment