Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring is Around the Corner...Somewhere!

 As we are entering the very beginning of spring, I can hardly stand my excitement and anticipation! Yesterday, I picked the very last of my leeks (they wintered over nicely!) and transplanted a few of my hardened Brussels sprouts that were already growing in my garden. I then was able to plant my peas just as the cold winds began to pick up. After I had three rows of peas safely nestled into the soil, I had to call it a day.

Indoors, I had - and still have - a bit of work on my hands! Tonight was spent repotting all of my tomatoes. They are all several inches tall and in desperate need of support. My solution was - and is - to repot them and burry them deep! Roots form on tomato stems anywhere they touch the soil. So by transplanting them deep, I am ensuring a good root system and a sturdy little plant!

After all were safely in their new pots, I gently watered them with a dilute solution of worm fertilizer (fish would work well too, but it smells...and my seedlings are inside :-) and water, and placed them back into a westward facing window.

As the weather, and soil, begins to warm up in the next several days/weeks, I hope to get out and plant my beets, radishes, lettuces, carrots, and move my cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Chinese cabbage...) from their sheltered indoor home into their permanent home outside. I can't wait to see what happens next! I'm thrilled with just the thought of it!!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment