Thursday, March 7, 2013

Seedling Update

It has been about a month since I started the first of my seedlings, and they are all doing really well! The first of my seeds I planted (my broccoli, bock Choy, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts) are the first needing to be transplanted. And today was the perfect day for it.
 
For Christmas, Cam and I received a box of "a year of wine." Essentially, it was a box with 15 different wines from around the world. We are excited to try them, but what peaked my immediate interest was the packaging around the wine. It was a paperboard thing with 15 wells (in which the bottles were nestled) built into it. These wells would make perfect planting spaces! All they needed was a little seed soil, some water, and a few plants. And that is exactly what they got! This new paperboard planter was going to become the new home for my bock Choy!
 
I first divided each of my tiny plants - being careful to separate as much of their roots as I could - into single plants which would be placed into the individual cells.
 
 
I then placed a small amount of soil (seed starting soil) in the bottom of each of the cells.
 
 
With soil at the base, I put one seedling in each cell, making sure to burry them deep.
 
 
I covered each of the stems with soil up to the top of the cell, tapped the soil down, and watered well.
 
 
These new plants are snug now in their new homes...awaiting their final move into my garden soil. Yesterday, we were graced with snow, so indoors is the perfect place for these tender plants for a bit longer. Hopefully by mid-march, I will actually be able to move them into the nourishing earth and the gorgeous soul-warming sunshine!
 
I hope you too can start a few of your own garden plants this spring, or just have a garden of your own, or even have another garden this year! It can be an extremely rewarding experience. I can't wait to get started, and to hear how things are going for you as well!!
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment