Monday, March 18, 2013

Love and Marriage

It is amazing how time flies. I know that statement is such a cliché, but it is all too true. Just a week ago I sat on my lani in my Hawaiian hotel room thinking: "I've got another 5 days to soak this up!" But before I knew it, I was boarding the plane heading back home to normal life.

Returning home wasn't so bad for me because I knew that we would be returning the day before my parents' 35th wedding anniversary! My sisters and I had been planning a get-together to celebrate with them since we would all be together. So we did exactly that! We visited, barbequed steaks, prepared a wonderful lunch, did a little thrift storing, and even reenacted one of our many family car rides for my parents (my dad and mom were, of course, in the front, and us three girls squeezed into the backseat, just as we used to, and proceeded to 'pester' one-another for old-times sake. We all got a huge kick out of it!).

But what really made me pause in all of this was just how quickly time goes by. I've been married nearly five years now...my parents, 35, and my grandparents nearly 60! These numbers amaze me!

What is most important about all of this is how each of these years were spent; so of course, that got me to thinking and praying. I came across this verse and prayer that explains that how beautifully.

 
Serving One Another
 
However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
~Ephesians 5:33~
 
Marriage is a precious gift. God, please watch over my marriage relationship. Help me respect the dreams and choices of my husband. Guide him to love and cherish me as we work together toward our future. I pray that we will always rely on You for guidance and direction.
 
Let us follow Your example of unconditional love as we care for one another. God, reveal to us the ways we can serve one another as we also serve You.
 
(The above is an excerpt taken from One-Minute Prayers for Women)
 
How beautiful is that? So simple, yet it encompasses every important aspect of marriage: love, respect, commitment, and Christ. With these at the forefront, a strong and magnificent marriage will emerge!
 
I've had good role-models. Nothing was ever perfect or easy for my family, but we always had enough; we always had each other which was the most wonderful blessing of all!
 
Now, as I look ahead, I pray my marriage will be as strong as that of my parents and grandparents. I will keep this prayer constantly close to my heart!
 
I hope you enjoy!
 
Happy 35th Anniversary
Mom & Dad!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment