Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Gardener's Journal

 
I am notorious for reading gardening magazines and tearing out pages with pictures I'm in love with, or ideas/tips I want to recreate or put to use. I collect these pages into a pile (for lack of another idea to do with them) and inevitably I forget about the beautiful pictures and practical advice I found so pertinent. They lay forgotten...until I discover this paper stack, once again, and thumb through them. The cycle begins again.
 
So this year, in a quest for organization and the desire to become a more efficient, learned, and successful gardener, I came up with a creative solution. I have decided to compose a gardening idea/dream journal.
 
I am in love with this idea! I have been cutting out each picture that inspires me, every tip I want to remember, all ideas I find intriguing...and have created page after page of gardening collages in my journal!

So far, one of the best parts of this journal is not only that it has cleared some clutter from my life, but it has also taught me a lot. I remember in High School and college, if I needed to memorize something, writing it down always helped with my recall. The exact same thing applies to this as well. I am constantly rereading information and studying garden plans and ideas, so, many of the tips and plant species, advice and ideas have spurred so much inspiration into my spirit...I can't wait for the nice weather of the warmer months so I can actually put some of these ideas into practice!


As I journal and am able to try some of these ideas for myself, I will make notes on what worked and what didn't. It will be fun to look back and see what pictures intrigued me at the very beginning and how my preferences have changed; to know and learn from my notes on the information I have gathered.

Not only is this journal a lot of fun to compose (it gives me a chance to get creative as well!) but it will be a learning tool. I already have a much better idea of my garden desires than I did before I began! I can't wait to start my own successful and beautiful garden...hopefully on my new homestead - and sooner rather than later! :)

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment