Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fare for One


 It's not real often when I find myself alone for any length of time, but Cam had to leave on a business trip and alone is exactly where I am.

I don't usually enjoy too much solo time. I'm a social person who enjoys human and social interaction everyday. But lately I have come to appreciate the small moments I find where I'm by myself (trust me, I'm not taking them for granted because I know that when we have children, these moments will be much farther and fewer between :-). I saw this as a time to really do anything I wanted; watch a movie, read a book all day, watch my favorite British comedies, start a new project...some good quality me time! And that's exactly what I did! But at the end of the day, when my growling tummy was directing my actions, I had to figure out what to make to silence the protests of my belly.

Sometimes cooking for one can be more of a chore than an exciting culinary journey. I, however, was not going to accept that. I wanted to make something unique and delicious, even if it was going to be on a smaller scale. As I searched through my recipes, I stumbled across one that sounded delicious, was new, and could be easily adapted for one serving. This is what I came up with...my dinner for one!

Awesome Sweet Asian Chicken Stir-Fry
 ~Adapted from Hungry Girl's Awesome Eggplant Stir-Fry~
 
Ingredients:
 1 tsp. cornstarch
1Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. sweet Asian chili sauce
1 scant tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp. minced garlic
cooked pasta, any type will do
chopped green onion
 
Directions:
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/4 c. cold water and stir to dissolve. Add soy sauce, chili sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
 
Heat a small skillet, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces to skillet. Cook until browned on one side, flip and brown the other.
 
Add garlic to skillet and heat, about two minutes, stirring occasionally.
 
Stir sauce mixture and add it to the skillet making sure to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the pasta to skillet. Toss to coat and heat through. Continue to cook until sauce has thickened.
 
Place into serving bowl and garnish with green onion!
 
Serves 1.
 
 
This was such a delightful dinner. I paired it with a small salad and enjoyed every bite of it! I hope, if it sounds intriguing to you, you enjoy it every bit as much as I did!
 
Eat well and Enjoy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment