Saturday, February 9, 2013

Seedling Update

So, last week, I started the very first seeds for my early spring garden. I planted bok Choy, broccoli, Walla-walla onions, cauliflower, and cabbage. I've kept them damp and warm, paid close attention to them, and finally...their little stems are long and cotyledons are beautifully green! (my melons, tomatoes, and flowers were planted a bit later so they will be the next 'update':-)

I planted all of my seeds, thus far, in trays that are easily covered by a plastic lid. I removed my greenhouse 'lid' from my seedlings, to ensure the moisture/heat/humidity ratio was with-in reason (if they are too damp, and the humidity and warmth are too high, they will begin to mold and eventually rot at the base of the stem). We want to keep the seedlings warm, with adequate humidity, but they must not stay too damp or you will easily lose all of your new plants to mold. So, my solution: I keep the greenhouse lid on all night (which is a plastic top to my seed tray...but it could easily be any plastic or glass covering or even a plastic bag), vent it (prop it open) during the warm part of the day, and then close it up again at night. The outcome as of now: I have several of my cool weather crops started! This means I will be able to nurse them along somewhat farther in their early development and will be rewarded with healthy plants to transplant in a few weeks! I'm extremely excited! So much so, I've started planning out where everything will go in my small garden! I can't wait for spring and summer!!

I've also been searching through my seed stash and the numerous seed catalogues I've encountered, and have put together a list of the seeds I need and those I want. Time will tell what I come out with...time and my powers of persuasion!

How is your garden? What have you started so far...or what is your experience with seed starting? I'm still a newbie when it comes to seed-starting and I am so eager to learn. So please share any insights you have...the more I can learn, the better! Thanks!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment