Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Fresh Start

For the past several days, we have been blessed with gorgeous sunshine, moderately warm temperatures for this time of year, and very little wind. I've had such a propensity to relish every moment of it...just doing anything to take me outside. I raked leaves and fallen branches; I cut back some of my dead perennials that I missed in the fall; I restrung fishing line for my dog fence. I even decided to wash my windows. All of them. Inside and out, even the screens! I wanted to be outside!

Living in the high desert surrounded by farmland means I am constantly over-run by dust. I dust my house, and just a few moments after I'm finished, the thin practical layer is back...as if I had never disturbed it! It can be somewhat discouraging but I've adapted.

The same goes for my windows. The dirt and dust collects on the screens and glossy surface making them appear dark and dingy. I like to wash my windows at least once in the spring, once in the summer, and one last time in the fall (but I like to wash the inside of the windows slightly more often:-) And when it comes to my windows - or all glass in my house for that matter -  I like clear and clean, with no streaks and spots. This can often be a difficult task to accomplish, but after much trial and error, I think I figured it out.

I used to go with many of the commercial cleaners, name-brand and generic. Some worked well and others left me disappointed. But I was always concerned with the chemicals I was inhaling and exposing to my skin. So I decided to do a little research. After some trial and error, I found the most wonderful glass cleaner! I literally use it on everything in my house. The best part is, is it's cheap to make and only uses items you may already own! Here is my favorite glass cleaner, deodorizer, and all-purpose cleaner:


Glass Cleaner
 
4 c. water
1/2 c. white vinegar
A few drops of dish soap
 
Place all ingredients into a spray bottle and swish to combine. Use on almost all surfaces (be careful on wood) especially on glass.


 
I hope you give this a try for yourself! There is nothing like a good glass-cleaner, I know, so when you find one that works, is cheap, and natural...it's definitely something that should be shared!
 
Enjoy!
 
Do you have any other natural cleanser recipes that work well? Please share them...I'm always looking for good cleansers, especially those that aren't so harsh on the human body :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment