Saturday, November 3, 2012

Stepping Out

Today, after many recent work-related travels, we began to question our decisions on where and how we decided to establish ourselves, not only as a married couple, but also in our careers and life's work. We began to see opportunities we've passed up and chances we allowed to pass by because it would be difficult or different. We were almost overcome by a sense of regret and 'what if's'. This is what helped us through:

The First Step
 
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.
~Proverbs 16:9~
 
I have great intentions, Lord. You know my heart carries with it many hopes and plans. Some have come to pass, and others I wait for with patience from You. But lately I sense my life shifting ever so slightly. One moment, my eyes are cast on a defined horizon, and in the next, they are peering at something hazy. Without my permission, without my foreknowledge, my true future emerges. You encourage my spirit to carry on.
 
Thank You, God, for letting me rest in the security of Your plans, not my own. Things change - sometimes so quickly that I lose my footing. But as I take the first step in a new direction, I know You are holding me upright and directing each step.
 
(Excerpt from One-Minute Prayers for Women)
 
There will always be something "better" on the other side of the fence, in the horizon, or in the distance. When we began to feel like we had missed out on opportunities in our life, and we read and reflected on this devotional, we realized that we are where we are right now for a reason. We need to make the most of it. If our dreams and intentions now are to come to pass, we can rest assured and take great strength from the knowledge that if, or when, newness comes our way, Christ will be with us directing us where we need to go!
 
It's easy to get caught up in the 'what-if's' in life, but if we can trust and rely on God, we will find our correct paths. And ultimately, happiness!
 
So, if you are finding yourself questioning where you are in life - which so many of us do - take hope in this verse. He will always be with us guiding us in the correct direction. We just have to listen and be willing to follow, wholeheartedly!
 
Have you had moments like that recently? What else helped you get through them? I'd love to hear about it!!
 
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This is so true Jen and definitely something I need to remind myself of on a regular basis! I love you and hope I get to see you real soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such an inspiration to me! You HAVE stepped out and followed where Christ has lead you, even if you were scared! That is such a beautiful quality! You also look for the 'what next' instead of the 'what-if'...I hope you can teach me!! Love you too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! You can truly understand where I'm coming from...it hard, but it'll work out with God's grace!

    ReplyDelete