Friday, November 16, 2012

Let's Go Skiing!


  
Snow has reached the high desert of Oregon. We experienced our first snow of the season a few days ago; being blessed with a good 3 or 4 inches of this precious white gift. The air was still and smelled so pure and clean. I sat on our porch, bundled up in wool blanket and with a BIG cup of coffee and just experienced  it; pure, simple, and enchanting.

After my coffee, we took our dogs for a walk through our open, snow-filled field. As they ran through the field, they dipped their heads and drug their darling noses through the snow; scooping it up like a shovel and as as if it were meant just for them. It was precious and almost as beautiful as our surroundings!

But this time of year - filled with family and friends - can also present a time of stress for many of us. Is the food prepared? Do we have enough room for guests? Is the house clean? Can we please everyone...really?! It's hard. I get it...trust me, I do!

Even during this blessed snow, I was beginning to become overwhelmed by everything I had to do to make everyone happy with me. To be honest, it was extremely discouraging because I realized I couldn't do everything for everyone without leaving someone out. So in my state of utter-helplessness (which was completely self-imposed...I know), Cam tried to cheer me up. He surprised me with a little gift. Now I know things don't make everything OK, nor do they solve problems, but this present was so extremely thoughtful I couldn't help but be flattered and cheerful!

He gave me three wood-carved snow birds. Each of them is posed and ready to go skiing...since I LOVE to cross-country ski, I decided that's what they were doing! :-)

They are so extremely cute that I couldn't help but smile and laugh when I opened the perfectly wrapped box! The most precious thing about this gift was what had spurred it. Cam could tell I was stressed with everything that has been going on. But he said that when he passed by this shop, he thought of me and couldn't help himself, so he brought them home for me! That was the sweetest thing to me...he didn't spend much but this little gesture reminded me of just how simple life is.
It's easy to get caught up in family, friends, perfection, holiday spirit, and all things that come along with this time of year and we can easily forget what it's really about. Thanksgiving and Christmas are times to be filled with family and friends, yes, but it's a time to be thankful and to acknowledge just who we are to be thankful to.  

So when we become overwhelmed with the things-to-be-done, we need to remember what is important. Christ, family, and friends. We are who Christ made us to be: nothing more, nothing less. Though we can't fulfill all expectations, if we listen, God will lead us where we need to be this season. Trust in Him and everything will work out! I'm definitely going to be working on this!!

Is this helpful? How are you dealing with Thanksgiving and holiday stresses? I'd love to hear!!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. awww! Cameron is so thoughtful! Its crazy how the littlest gesture can bring the biggest smile to your face. I remember when i found out i had to get a root canal... travis brought be home some flowers because he knew i was probably really stressed out, and it really did make me so much happier! :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's amazing how the smallest gestures - just to know someone's thinking of us - can calm us down, cheer us up, and help us move on! :-)

    ReplyDelete