Sunday, May 19, 2013

Weekend Renewal

Today, amidst the cool breeze and fragrant sagebrush, I found myself at a place of extreme peace. Not only because of my surroundings - which were of a caliber that only God could create - but because it was spent with two of the people who have taught me so much in life...my mom and my husband (my dad would have made three but he was unable to be here).

I was so thrilled to be able to have my mom over for the weekend, sort of a belated Mother's Day treat! We've been so busy having fun and catching up that we have literally lost track of time! Today though, we decided to spend the gorgeous day out enjoying some of central Oregon's immeasurable beauty by hiking a nearby trail. It is one I've been on at least five times prior to today, but one so memorable I wanted my mom to experience it! This was our hike on the Tam-a-lou loop trail.

It was literally the perfect day for this hike. Since the first mile is all up hill, you can get a little over-heated if you begin too late in the day. So when we arrived, the sun was peeking through the clouds but the cool breeze was enough to keep it absolutely perfect!

As we hiked up, it was hard not to notice all of the new life that was springing forth from the late spring rains we've had. The flowers were abundant, as well as all the wildlife. Deer, cicadas, grasshoppers, lizards, snakes, hawks, finches, and bees were all busily working as we carefully strode through their home. It was so wonderful to see! We enjoyed 4 miles of this!

I think the most wonderful part of our little trek was simply the peace and company of being together. We were all so grateful to be able to hike the trail and be in each others company, that our surroundings just became the 'icing on the cake' so-to-speak.

Today was just one of the wonderful moments I've enjoyed this weekend! Having my mom here has reignited my creative juices which has given birth to some pretty awesome DIY projects...and I can't wait to share them! So stay tuned for that this week!

I guess the thing I wanted to share most was not so much how I spent my days here on my little homestead, but instead how I felt. Knowing, seeing and appreciating how many blessings fill each day is something I feel we all spend too little time doing. I want to change that! I hope to spend more time filled with joy and thankfulness, and surrounding myself with those who fill me with the love Christ wishes us to share, and sharing that love as well!

Beauty can always be found in the little things!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely day you all had. I am so glad you got to share it with your mom and what a great picture of you two.

    ReplyDelete