Thursday, April 18, 2013

Seedling Update!

I know it has been a while since I've written about my many, MANY, tomato plants (and a few of the other seeds I decided to give a head-start to) so I think it's time!

After having started my tomatoes at the beginning of February, this is where I stand in the middle of April:

I'm fairly proud; though not quite as tall yet as those you would buy from a nursery or retail store, they are, however, all between 6-10" tall with good sets of leaves and thick stems that are growing steadily stronger. I'm so excited!

I have moved them into an eastward facing window, so they are receiving a good deal of strong morning sun, and I've been giving them dilute amounts of my liquid worm fertilizer. I also noticed that they were looking a little spindly. When tomato plants are stressed (from wind or things that threaten their longevity) they release a hormone that promotes growth, thus strengthening their stems. So when the wicked high desert winds blow, they can survive and thrive, and eventually produce fruit!

So, in order to mimic the outdoor environment, I placed a fan in from of my tender plants and turned it on a low rotation. For about 6 hours a day, they are exposed to a small breeze that will help strengthen them and prepare them for their summer home!

So now I must wait a bit longer...actually until the snow disappears from the top of Black Butte (an old gardeners tale that states that you plant tomatoes in central Oregon when the snow is gone from the top of Black Butte).

My seeds are also doing well outside. The bock Choy is thriving, as well as my spinach, broccoli, Swiss chard, peas, Brussels spouts, and other cruciferous vegetables, and my radishes and lettuces I just planted have also sprung to life!

Even though our nights are still down into freezing temperatures, I am so eager to do more and more in my small homestead garden!

What are you experiencing this time of year?
Whether you are in spring or fall, I'd love to hear how you are enjoying you garden and how it is impacting you!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, love your posts! Good to see you and Cam on Monday. ❤You guys! Oh, was going to ask if you have ever picked Morels? Phil and I are gonna try our luck this year. You guys should join us!
    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! We loved seeing you guys as well!! Morels...I would love to try to go pick some with you guys! Just let us know when you want to go!

      Delete