Thursday, April 25, 2013

Obsession Review!

Ever since I stumbled across the article in the last month's Rachael Ray Magazine on eggs, I'm obsessed! I have always LOVED eggs, especially fried with a runny yoke...be still my heart! But it wasn't until I read this article that I gave any consideration to poached eggs; honestly, I wasn't entirely sure exactly what they were until now...let alone what they tasted like!

 As I mentioned in an earlier post, my first go at poached eggs was a delectable hit! I loved them!! The only thing I had trouble with was getting the whites to sort-of 'glum' together so my egg wasn't skirting all over the pan of hot water! I managed, but it took a little work. After supper, Cam mentioned a contraption his parents had that just set inside the pot of water and poached the eggs, perfectly, and the egg could be easily removed because it never sat directly into the water. This intrigued me. If there was one gadget that I would like to try right now, it would definitely be one to make poaching eggs easier and less messy!

I searched for something similar when we drove into town last weekend and I found one! It was the Martha Stewart egg poacher that was available at Macy's for just under $10. I was trilled so I got it! The very morning after we purchased it, I gave it a trial run: poached eggs on toast with fruit for breakfast.

After trying to poach my eggs for the first time in a pot of simmering water, I was surprised that with this apparatus, the eggs never touched water. They are simply cooked by the steam.

You put about 1/2-3/4 C water into a 10-12" skillet and bring it to a boil, then set the poacher into the boiling water. You crack an egg into each egg well, that has been spayed with just a little olive oil,  and put the lid on the pan. After three minutes (I like a solid white and runny yolk...this is usually perfect for me!) you remove the lid and lift out the poacher. Each egg gracefully slides out with just the gentlest coaxing from a rubber spatula.

Our favorite way to eat them is to slide them onto dry toast...and carefully cut up the egg so the entire piece of toast gets a light covering of yolky goodness...I'm drooling! It is so good!

But back to the point, this egg poacher by Martha Stewart is great! For under $10, I know I will most definitely get my money's worth out of it! It's easy to use, easy to clean, and works great! My only complaint is that there are only four wells...sometimes, doing them in batches (with two very hungry individuals or a crowd) just isn't the same ;).
 
If you haven't tried making poached eggs, or any other new ingredient or recipe for that matter, I would encourage you to do so! You never know just when and where you will find your next great obsession!
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment