Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day

I pledge allegiance to the Flag,
Of the United States of America.
And to the Republic for which it stands,
One Nation under God,
Indivisible,
With justice and liberty to all.
 
Happy 4th of July!
 
Today we celebrate our independence; we celebrate our freedoms; we celebrate what it means to be an American.
 
We barbeque, visit family, relax, and watch fireworks. It's a fun day of remembrance.
 
But amidst the enjoyable entertainment and pleasant conversations, I want to step back and give thanks. Thanks to the creator who has given us the ability to enjoy the freedoms our founding fathers believed so strongly in. This prayer is perfect for today:
 
Because His Love Endures Forever
 
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords. His love endures forever.
~Psalm 136:1-3~
 
Lord, thank You for the life You have given me. Upon rising in the morning, I worship the Lord of lords, the God of all gods, and the King of kings...and You call me by name. I think back to the day I met You and how You welcomed me with open arms. You received this prodigal son without hesitation.
 
For all these reasons and so many more, I give You thinks. I offer up my life to You and Your service. I can think of no greater way to live than to consider each day a holy, living sacrifice to You. May Your will be done through the course of my days.
 
(This prayer/devotional was taken from One-Minute Prayers for Men)
 
So as we celebrate this day, and what it stands for, may we also take a moment and be thankful. We are so extremely blessed and must remember to never to take it for granted. That is what I think it truly means to be an American.
 
Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment